Sep 11, 2009

Baggage & Travellers


I started to think about the song first and then the passage came into my head. I was thinking about 'baggage' in the figurative sense the kind that weighs a person down mentally. For some reason I linked the two sets of words, 'Pilgrim Song' and a passage from the bible.

'Man is lonely by birth, Man is only a pilgrim on earth
Born to be Free, Time is but a temporary thing
Only on loan while on earth.'
The passage in the bible was about Christ sending his disciples out into the world, he had said 'take no bag for the journey, or extra tunic, or sandals or a staff.. for the worker is worth his keep...And If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town.'

Gaia and I had talked about 'baggage' a while back in the comments after a post.

And I'm left with these thoughts ....we are short-haul travellers, yet we obsess over baggage, instead of the journey; travel light, leave behind what cannot be saved and move on.

PS: I wonder if women are entitled to extra baggage allowance up there afterall we're supposed to be the 'emotional' half of the species!

7 comments:

  1. "Travel light and leave the excess behind" WOW....I need to work on this...
    Blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi BM I hope you are working on leaving the baggage behind... must try. The trouble with us women we tend to carry excess baggage, I mean literally.

    I would never leave the house without extra diapers, wipes, milk powder, tee-shirts, jacket. Can you imagine how heavy that bag was. But when my ex brought the baby out. It's just the baby.

    See they have no qualms about carrying less, why should we? Just learn to carry the more important stuff and discard the rest.

    Must try .. though I myself am like a yo-yo, but TRY I must. I want to be like my mum in that area. Happy-go-lucky, come what may, worry-less. Hey she has less white hair than I do. Not fair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect post ... ty for sharing. Have a great weekend. TTFN ~ Maryodn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi BM that was an awesome post and I couldn't agree more ("And I'm left with these thoughts ....we are short-haul travellers, yet we obsess over baggage, instead of the journey; travel light, leave behind what cannot be saved and move on.") How much easier for some people to say than to do huh.
    GBU :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i liked this post. Something i am trying to incorporate in my life but pathetically failing but never giving up

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous27/9/09

    It's hard to let go of things eventhough we know we should. But life is short, we sometimes forget to live for ourselves too.
    Like this post.. cheers T

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous18/10/09

    "And I'm left with these thoughts ....we are short-haul travellers, yet we obsess over baggage, instead of the journey; travel light, leave behind what cannot be saved and move on....."

    Perfect thought...each one of us are born with nothing to our name and when we die we leave everything and every one behind...yet the paradox is while we live we forget just this one truth and are burdened with baggages that are like ruby's of no consequence....:)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a note, thank you for stopping by, happy to have input and just know you hear me or even just to say hello.
Spam and junk will be removed.

Featured Post

You can't miss it if you didn't have it to begin with.

When I was growing up, hand-me-downs were common. And I don't mean from an older sister or cousin. I mean literally second hand clothes ...